Best of Communities Magazine
Communities magazine is the leading publication for all topics related to intentional community. From the broad-stroked overviews to the intimate details, this quarterly publication covers it all. With so much content to explore, we’ve distilled it into a single compilation!
Volume XI – Green Building, Ecovillage Design, and Land Preservation
For most of us, the designs of our community and major buildings are the the largest, most permanent things we’ll ever manage. So we may as well do them with our eyes wide open, so that they’re telling a story we’re proud of.
In this book you’ll find:
- how to read what your land is telling you
- how to use materials at hand to build beautifully and sustainably
- how to work creatively with zoning restrictions
- how to live and build in harmony with your natural environment
You will recognize authors leading the intentional community movement, representing cutting-edge thinking and how-to explorations of the social, ecological, and economic aspects of sustainable living.
Volume XI includes the following articles:
- Natural Building and Community: Two Ways to Build Connection by Michael G. Smith, #139
- The Marriage of Natural Building with Conventional Building by Brandy Gallagher and Elke Cole, #139
- Cabins, Computers, & Construction Dust by Stephanie Noll, #117
- Lost Valley: Building Design That Fosters Community by Larry Kaplowitz, #99
- Sirius: Becoming a Spiritual Ecovillage by Jeff Clearwater, #95
- How Not to Build Your Community Home by Buzz Burrell, #95
- Design Goals for Ecovillages by Marc Tobin, #126
- Creating “Ecovillage Zoning” With Local Officials by Melanie Mitchell, Lokesh Green, Elizabeth Gorla, and Brandy MacPherson, #117
- When No Is Just An Uneducated Yes by Brandy Gallagher, #137
- What Does Your Land Say? by Ted Butchart, #95
- Ecovillage Infrastructure: The Skeleton of Community by Gwendolyn Hallsmith, #156
- Whole-Systems Design for Earthaven Village by Chuck Marsh, #95
- Creating a Community of Homesteaders by Kim Scheidt, #158
- Preserving Community Land: Conservation Easements & Other Tools by Olivia Boyce-Abel, #110
Volume XI is part of a 15-volume compilation of the Best of Communities magazine. The set includes over 200 articles about intentional communities from the 1990’s and 2000’s. Purchase the entire set and save!
Communities magazine is now published by GEN-US
For over 30 years, the Foundation for Intentional Community had the pleasure to publish Communities magazine.
Although we are no longer its publisher, Communities is still alive and thriving with GEN-US. Subscribe to the magazine today!