To purchase a print copy of this issue, contact Communities new home at GEN-US.
- Community Makes Renewable Energy Work by Alexis Zeigler – Living Energy Farm embodies the promise of renewable energy used cooperatively.
- Putting Our Lives On The Line by Josina Guess – Jubilee Partners’ clothesline does more than dry clothes with solar power; it helps build community.
- Climate Changes: Turn to Face the Strange by Christopher Kindig – Intentional communities are in a unique position to respond to climate change.
- Sustainability Is A Life Style Not A Solar Panel by Xiuhtezcatl Martinez – A 13-year-old indigenous environmental activist asks us to walk lightly and respect the Earth.
- Confessions Of A Fallen Eco-Warrior by Chris Roth – A communitarian stops counting nanowatts, and starts counting blessings.
- Strangely Warmed: A Homeowner’s Adventure with Geothermal Energy by Nancy Roth – Home-scale geothermal in appropriate conditions promotes both community and energy savings.
- Greasing The Wheels by Christopher Kindig
- The Trust Campaign by Xiuhtezcatl Martinez
- Power To The People: T’Sou-ke Nation’s Community Energy Solutions by Andrew Moore – In British Columbia, a band of native people becomes one of Canada’s most solar-intensive communities.
- Generating Your Own Electricity: Why and How by Mary Wildfire – Every community can benefit from producing renewable power.
- GOING FOR THE GRID: A Community Ditches Energy Independence to Get Greener by Sarah Stoner – After three decades off-grid in Washington state, Walker Creek members decide on-grid living is more sustainable.
- Burlington Cohousing’s Excellent Solar Adventures by Don Schramm – When community members want to place “private” panels on “public” roofs, don’t expect clear sailing.
- Establishing And Incorporating Renewable Energy Technologies In Camphill Communities: A Personal Journey by Martin Sturm – Introducing renewable power can require not only technical expertise, but group dynamics skills.
- Energy Efficient Heating, Renewable Electricity, And Community Renaissance At ZEGG by Achim Ecker – A German ecovillage derives new energy from a solar-assisted biogas plant, photovoltaic panels, and holacracy.
- Geothermal Greenwashing And Injustice In Hawaii by Amara Karuna – La’akea grapples with the threat of corporate-sponsored geothermal electricity generation on a volcanic island.
- Energy Efficiency In Cohousing by Chuck Durrett – Sustainability is embedded in community—even without a minus-$88-per-year electric bill.
- The Sun Touches Heartwood by Richard Grossman – A Colorado cohousing group learns and grows along with its renewable energy systems.
- The Personal And The Planetary: Spiritual and Planetary Renewal at Lama Foundation by Scott Shuker – In northern New Mexico, active and passive solar meet almost all of a community’s energy needs.
- Publisher’s Note: Unpacking The Dynamics Of A Packed Car by Laird Schaub
- Land Management And Lifesharing At Innisfree Village by Rhonda Miska
- Community Living Worldwide: Narara Ecovillage, Australia by Bill Metcalf
- Self-Governance With Circles And Double Links: How Sociocracy Can Help Communities, Part II by Diana Leafe Christian
- Creating Cooperative Culture: Renewing The Human Spirit: Igniting the Spark and Maintaining the Flame by Christina Heller